- 1750: Brickhill Farm House mentioned in 'a terrier'. A terrier being a register of landed property.
- 1765: Brickhill Farm shown on Jeffrey’s Map of Bedfordshire
- 1807: John Foster of Brickhill House wrote a pamphlet, 'Observations on the Agriculture of North
Bedfordshire'. There is a copy of this pamphlet in The Heritage Library, Bedford Central Library.
- 1821: John’s son Algernon Foster dies in Dresden and is commemorated by the erection of a
monument in the grounds of Brickhill House.
- 1824: The American, Washington Irving, author of 'Rip Van Winkle' visits Brickhill House.
- 1861-1880: Brickhill House leased to Alexander Pym ancestor of Francis Pym, prominent politician
of the 20th century.
- 1927: Frank Brightman, tenant of Brickhill Farm, purchases Brickhill House from the Foster family.
- 1930: Emily Foster’s journal is published.
- 1946: Brickhill House destroyed by fire on Boxing Day.
- 1954: Bedford Borough Council purchases the Brickhill Farm estate.
- 1956: Planning for Brickhill Estate reaches an advanced stage. It was decided that the estate would
consist of 900 houses, two churches, a garage and a group of shops.
- 1959: The first house is occupied (in Robin Hill).
- 1960: Brickhill County Infants School now Brickhill Lower School is opened.
- 1962: Brickhill shopping centre officially opens in January. The shops were seven in number and
comprised a self service store, dry cleaners, newsagents and post office, chemists, butchers, hair
stylists and a greengrocers.
- 1963: Brickhill County Junior School opens in October with The Bird in Hand Public House opening
- 1966: Building of a further residential estate known as North Brickhill begins and the Avon Drive
community facilities are planned.
- 1967: Manton Primary School (now Scott Lower) opens followed by Parkwood Middle School.
- 1976: Kelly's Bedford Directory of 1976, the last published, lists the following shops: Murdoch
Norton, grocers; Beswick & Holmes, newsagents and post office; A.R. Miller, chemists; Maria,
ladies' hairdresser; F.Harris, butchers; H.F. Keech, fruiterer.
- 1981-3: The Tyne Crescent estate and the North British estate are completed and not long
afterwards The Pheasant Public House opens.
- 1993: Parkwood and Brickhill Middle Schools merge as Beauchamp Middle School.
- 1993: Elections are held for Brickhill Urban Community Council, forerunner of the Brickhill Parish
- 2004: Following a residents’ petition the Government establishes Brickhill as a Parish Council.
Download Brickhill Timeline PDF